Belz is a small town with a population of about 2,200 located in Lviv Oblast of Ukraine, about 70 km north of Lviv. It is the oldest town in the region and one of the oldest in western Ukraine.
This town has a number of preserved architectural monuments. One of them is the wooden Church of St. Paraskeva – an architectural monument of national importance located in the old cemetery of Belz. Church of St. Paraskeva in Belz on Google Maps. Photos by: Maxim Ritus.
The documents of 1731-1762 say that the church is old. In 1766, a bell tower under construction is mentioned. It is most likely that between 1762 and 1766 the church was rebuilt. According to some reports, it was originally built in the village of Prusin and moved to its current location in the 18th century.
In 1977-1979, the church was restored and a museum of the history of Belz was opened in it. In 1991, the building was given to the local Greek Catholic community. In 2007, the Church of St. Paraskeva in Belz was renovated.